Tuesday, July 29, 2014

My Ballard Design Demijohn Knock Off Only Better With Bling!

 Something I have wanted to try
to do for months now........and
I finally did it!

  
I have seen fish netted demijohns all over the stores in all sizes and shapes but lordy are they expensive! Even to buy the bottles without the net could break the bank! A luxury I can't afford! So this was my next best thing!


This was my inspiration from Ballard Design. Love that place! I get their catalog in the mail and I am always so excited to dive into it! And then reality sets in and I'm crushed.....it's just another daydream day.

But I said to myself...."use what you have girl!"

Bottles I'm using from my stash.....and I found this old picnic basket I forgot about too!
That's what happens when you hoard gobs of stuff!

I save darn near everything....and I got bottles up the ying and yang! I spent several days looking at pictures all over the net, studied knots and realize that making the netting on these bottles is really quite like macrame...I did a little of that back in the day so this wasn't to hard to do at all! I grabbed all the supplies I figured I needed and luckily had all that too!

So I set a plan to motion....adjusted this and that, here and there, had a couple of cuss words slip out a time or two lol, and then....WALA! I did it!!!

And if you know me, I gots to have sparkley too! It gives the bottles some pizzzazzzz don't ya think?

I like my bottles much better....just wished I had some of those big fat bottom bottles durn it!


I was really struggling with how to photo my new pretties as my house is not beachy cottagey, so I went out and bought a bag of sandbox sand and dumped it on our brick patio out by the pool. Now the pictures have a bit of a beachy feel.........JUST what I was looking for!

Now I just need to buy a beach!
In my new dream!

The two largest bottles had a green hint of color to them. The small one was clear glass. I loved how the twine and green meshed so well together.





I got sidetrack with beach on my mind and remembered I have two large bags of sand dollars, so I got them out and painted a few. The color is softer more pastelly in color than shown here. Is pastelly a word? hmmmm Blame it on a cloudy photo day!


I covered the bottles bottoms too. They sit more stable this way instead of knots on the bottom causing them to rock a bit. After all the hours of making them, I durn sure don't want them to fall over and break! I would cry!


I did different designs on each of the bottles to make them more interesting and not like everything else you see out there. I like it!


Looking pretty on my patio table by the pool.
I love the added sparkley on them too!


I got side tracked again and made those nautical balls too...you'll never guess what they are made from....I'll be posting about that next! And wait till you see my sailboat I'm making! It's just silly cute!

There is a reason for this nautical beachy madness I'm in here lately....I have a new dream if the good Lord is willing...I'll tell you about it later too!



I had so much fun making these and was so excited I could figure it out! 
Now I want more!

I looked up what a Demijohn really is and this is what it says.....A large narrow-necked bottle made of glass or earthenware usually encased in wickerwork. A Demijohn is just a fancy word for a "giant wine jug."


This is the real them! Huge aren't they?
Darn near as big as me!


Look at all these! I think this person should take pity on me and just give me a couple and I can make them pretty too! Fat chance! These are antiques and for sale too!

They look really great empty set in clusters on a table or on the floor for decorating. Mine aren't large bottomed, but they got narrow necks!
Works for me!

I can't help but wonder with as huge as some of those bottles are, how in the heck did one lift these babies to pour the wine in a glass!!!? Lord help ya if you were tippsy!

Thank you for the visit!
Have an awesome blessed day!

For the tutorial on how to diy click here:



With Sincere Appreciation I Would Like To
Thank The Following Websites Below!

My Ballard Design Demijohn Knock Offs
Were Featured At...

What a lovely surprise! Thank You!


Linking up with:



36 comments:

  1. Hi Debbie, They look lovely. I did some beachy bottles with wire this summer but yours take the cake. Love them. Any chance of you doing a tutorial on the knots and twine part?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms. Kitty! These were fun to make. As far as a tutorial for making the nets on the bottle....I can try! I'll let you know when I get it done. We should get to together and I will show you lol...it would be quicker! Thank you again.....always happy for your visit! Hugs!

      Delete
    2. I would like to see a tutorial as well. I doubt you are anywhere near Chicago. Thank you for sharing the idea.

      Delete
    3. I would love to know how to make the nets for the bottl
      es as well. They are amazing!!

      Delete
  2. Wow--those are just amazing! I love them. So much prettier than the "real" ones :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandy! Adding sparkle makes such a difference I think. Lovely to see you. Hope you're doing well. Hugs!

      Delete
  3. Wow...now just set up the class so you can teach us all!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Denise.....I would love to do that but really doubt there would be that much interest around here....would be fun though! Lovely to see you here!

      Delete
    2. I'd loovvveee a tutorial for the netting!!!!! A YouTube video maybe?

      Delete
    3. Thank you Shirley.....I'm looking into seeing If I can do a YouTube video. I would be easier to show how to tie the knots for sure. Thank you for the visit and your interest. Have a good day. I hope to get a tutorial either way up very soon.

      Delete
  4. Debi,
    These are super "cool"...going to share them on my facebook page. Thank you for sharing them at my Show and Share party this week.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Linda! I appreciate the share on your Facebook page....that was so sweet of you! It was fun being a part of the party, and really fun seeing all the cool things posted! Have a lovely weekend!

      Delete
  5. Visiting from the Be Awesome link party. These are GORGEOUS. I just pinned them. I've never done macrame before. Wondering if they are possible for a newbie to pull off? Any tips on the knots?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Crystal! So nice to have you here! Thank you so much for the compliment and for the pin....how sweet of you to do that! This would be very possible for a newbie to pull off! I have had so many ask for me to do a tutorial or a class on how to do this. I am going to try the tutorial. I will let you know when I have it done, and if you have any questions from that, I'll tweak whatever I have to so you get it. It really was pretty easy and if I can say that, that means anyone can do this lol! Thank you so much again....so nice to have you here! Have a lovely weekend!

      Delete
    2. Crystal....here is the link to the tutorial if you are still interested: http://cameocottagedesigns.blogspot.com/2014/08/knotted-jute-net-demijohns-or-bottles.html

      Delete
  6. These look gorgeous Debi. What a clever thing you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mimi Mama and thank you for visiting here! So nice to see new faces here and meeting new folks. Just the other day I did find a fabulous buy on a really large real demijohn in a gorgeous blue green color. I'm working on the netting for it now. So excited! Have a lovely blessed day!

      Delete
  7. Will you show how you did them or provide a link as to how to tie the knots?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol.....So nice to see you here! I am in the process of putting together a tutorial now. I didn't realize this would be so popular and I am trying to put together a class to teach it for a friend too. I just need more hours in a day lol! Thank you for the visit and for the interest! Keeping fingers crossed I can get this done real quick lol! Have a lovely day

      Delete
  8. I macramed many, many years ago, but would love to try again and make these bottles~~tutorial please!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Galen! Welcome and thank you for the visit. The tutorial is up and the link is posted at the bottom of this post. Happy to have inspired you! Have a great day!

      Delete
  9. I love that, I love glass and bottles and this is a super way to use them. Thanks for the idea. I am going to follow your blog.
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janice! Thank you! Thank you for the visit and the follow also! I'm so pleased that you like my bottles and the idea.

      Delete
  10. You are an inspiration! I can't wait to try these in our new home - close by you on Deer Island. These would make a great accessory for my new book shelf. Hope to see your work around Mt. Dora next time I'm in town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tilda! Thank you so much for the compliment! I'm not sure where Deer Island is, but I'll Google it lol. I don't sell anything around Mt. Dora, but I have wanted too. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. I sell things sometimes from my Facebook page, and I have a website if I would ever get it up! I have the tutorial up on this post....the link is at the bottom of the post. If you don't want to tackle making them, let me know and I can make them for you. Just let me know! :) Thank you for the visit and comment. Have a great day!

      Delete
  11. Hey there from Florida!
    Any chance of a video tutorial coming for the wine bottle vases?
    Thanks!
    Melody

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melody! Thank you for the visit and the comment! I didn't do a video but I did get a tutorial done. The link is listed here at the bottom of the post. If you make them have fun creating your bottles and enjoy! Duh....I guess I could put the link here lol..... http://cameocottagedesigns.blogspot.com/2014/08/knotted-jute-net-demijohns-or-bottles.html

      Delete
  12. Love the bottles! Is the tutorial complete yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betsy.....thank you so much. Yes the tutorial is completed! Here is the link: http://cameocottagedesigns.blogspot.com/2014/08/knotted-jute-net-demijohns-or-bottles.html

      Thank you so much for the visit, comment, and your interest!

      Delete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Putting in another request for a tutorial, from California! These are stunning! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosa! Thank you so much for the compliment! The tutorial is done and the link to it is posted at the bottom of this post. Here it is here too! Thank you so much again for the compliment, visit, and the comment! Enjoy! http://cameocottagedesigns.blogspot.com/2014/08/knotted-jute-net-demijohns-or-bottles.html

      Delete
  15. I love these, Debi! I think yours are way prettier than Ballard Designs. Hands down. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you sweet lady! I really appreciate that! Thank you for stopping by and for your comment! Hugs! xoxo

      Delete
  16. These are great! I keep saving wine bottles for future projects and loved this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. how do u tie this to form a particular pattern

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for the visit and your kind and lovely comments! Please come back and visit again! Have a blessed day!